Crispy Cricket Falafel
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes Total Time: 50 minutes Servings: 12 falafels
- 60 ml + 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 250 gr pre cooked chickpeas, rinsed,
- 20 gr BUGG’S High Protein Cricket Powder
- 65 gr roughly chopped red onion (about ½ small red onion)
- 50 gr packed fresh parsley (mostly leaves but small stems are ok)
- 50 gr packed fresh cilantro (mostly leaves but small stems are ok)
- 4 cloves garlic, quartered
- 5 gr fine sea salt
- 4 gr (about 25 twists) freshly ground black pepper
- 4 gr ground cumin
- 2 gr ground cinnamon
- With an oven rack in the middle position, preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius . Pour 60 ml of the olive oil into a large, rimmed baking sheet and turn until the pan is evenly coated.
- In a food processor, combine the drained chickpeas, onion, parsley, cilantro, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, cinnamon, BUGG’S High Protein Cricket Powder and the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Process until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Using your hands, scoop out about 2 tablespoons of the mixture at a time. Shape the falafel into small patties, about 5 cm wide and 3 cm thick. Place each falafel on your oiled pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, carefully flipping the falafels halfway through baking, until the falafels are deeply golden on both sides. These falafels keep well in the refrigerator for up to 4 days, or in the freezer for several months.
Suggstion: serve the falafels on a dark bun with hummus and fresh spinach leaves.